Wednesday, December 16, 2009

There are no right answers to the wrong questions

The title of this post is one of my favorite quotations, sometimes attributed to Ursula K LeGuin. I am reminded of it at work nearly every day. My colleagues are engineers and scientists, wired and trained to find answers. My mind works the same. Pose a question and the thinking, analyzing, calculating, and answer-finding begins immediately.

The trouble is, if the wrong question is asked, then no matter what answer we come up with, it will be "wrong." It will not be helpful, it may point us in a bad direction, it may simply be meaningless.

How much time are you devoting to asking the right questions? Answers are easy. But you need to ask the right question if you want the right answer.

1 comments:

Cathy said...

Yes, identifying the right question is the most important part of problem solving. Perhaps a nursing mindset is not too different from an engineering mindset in that I also think, analyze, calculate, find answers daily. I believe it is in my nature to do that. Identify the problem and fix it. Done.

Hear me laughing at myself!!

I have recently been satisfied and comforted with a wonderful verse,Psalms 46:10: "Be still and know that I am God".

Waiting until the right question is apparent is sometimes a hard thing for me.

Love your train of thought. Thanks for sharing!

Post a Comment