Tuesday, December 15, 2009

The definition of maturity

Having children is a good way to be confronted with my own immaturity. It is far too easy to watch them behave childishly (as toddlers are wont to do) and suddently realize that there is not much difference between their behavior and mine sometimes.

This train of thought got me to defining maturity. We all know maturity when we see it, but what does it really mean? I propose the following definition.
Maturity is the willingness and ability to take responsibility for myself.
Responsibility is the key. I am mature when I take responsibility for my feelings, my circumstances, my thoughts, and my actions. I do not whine, complain, or pass blame. For this to happen, I need both the ability and the willingness to use that ability. There are far too many adults who have the mental and emotional faculties to take responsibility, but simply do not.

Since I started thinking about this, I have been amazed to realize how often I pass on taking responsibility, at least internally. It turns out that I am not quite as mature as I thought I was.

What do you think? Does this definition hit the mark?

2 comments:

Cathy said...

I like your definition. It agrees with me. I would add that part of maturity is the ability to foresee potential consequences, think and plan ahead. It also involves experiential wisdom in making choices, understands the role of delayed gratification. Maturity also includes the needs/wants of others in decision making.

I think when we realize we are acting out of immaturity, we are gaining a more mature perspective.

What do you think? Do my thoughts ring true?

(I just reread your post and I think all of my thoughts fall under "taking responsibility for my feelings, circumstances,thoughts and actions". Perhaps as I grow in maturity, I will be come less verbose. ;)

David said...

@Cathy - I'm not sure that verbosity has anything to do with maturity at all. Your comments are true, and reveal the problem with one-line definitions for complex ideas. They make for decent blog posts, but aren't usually all that deep. I realize in reading your comments that I have an assumption of the value of other people and long-term rewards. Therefore taking responsibility for myself automatically involves caring about my impact on others and the long-range effects of my actions. It would be possible to meet my definition and not have those, which may result in a mature, insufferable person.

I completely agree that recognition of immaturity is a sign of maturity. The first step is always to admit the problem.

Post a Comment