Sunday, December 13, 2009

Is easy ever right?


I have written before about making hard choices, usually involving delayed gratification. It seems that nearly all the time, the easy thing to do is not the one with the greatest long-term pay-off.

Watching TV is easier than reading to my kids.

Eating ice cream is easier than eating green beans.

Withdrawing is easier than engaging in relationships.

Sleeping in is easier than going for a run at 5:00.

Giving in is easier than standing firm.

So this has me wondering...is the easy choice ever the best one? Or even a particularly good one? If the easy choice is never the best choice, it simplifies life a bit. Looking at all the choices, throw out the easiest couple and you know the outcome will be better. If it sometimes is, then I want to have lots of those kinds of choices.

Any ideas? Can easy ever be right? If so, how do I get there?

(Photo credit to lidge_34)

0 comments:

Post a Comment