Thursday, December 31, 2009

The End (of 2009)

Between 10/19/06 and 8/24/09, I wrote six posts for this blog. I officially relaunched on 8/25/09 and have since written over twenty times that number, with this post being number 130. My reason for blogging is to help refine my thinking, and to give myself an outlet for all the input that I am inclined to gather. Since output is not natural for me, I decided to follow Seth's lead (in posting rate, not quality of content) and require daily posts through the end of the year. The end has now come.

I learned through the process that there is a lot to write about. Ideas were never a problem. I also learned that writing every day is good for me. It is enjoyable, and has succeeded in forcing me to think. However, it turns out that while writing every day is good, publishing every day is a little much. There were a few good posts, a few bad ones, and a lot of middling ones. The pace eliminated much possibility of editing, and first drafts generally are not that good. That is the nature of writing, but there is no need for me to subject you to it.

So going forward I will no longer require daily posting of myself. It is a bit of a relief. We'll have to see what actually happens. (Note that there is no implication that the quality will increase when quantity diminishes.)

Enough about me, what about you? While I write primarily for myself, I appreciate readers as well. Are you deriving any value? Does it matter to you whether I continue writing or not? If so, are there topics that you would like to see more or less of? Leave a comment and let me know.

So that closes out 2009. Happy New Year, celebrate wildly, drive safely, and I'll see you on the other side.

2 comments:

the 5 cokes said...

Hi there - I have gleaned a lot from your posts about parenting, and really appreciate your thoughtful book reviews. See you in 2010!

Cathy said...

David,
You often write about things that are hot topics in my brain as well. Reading your thoughts has let me get to know you better, and I appreciate the opportunity to do that. Thank you for sharing of yourself. Continue posting at the pace that suits you best.

And now, take a well deserved break!! :)

Post a Comment