Thursday, December 10, 2009

All knowledge is limited

I was in a class last week being taught by an expert. He is a professor at the University of Texas, has worked in his field for over 35 years, and has written a seminal textbook on the subject. In the accompanying electronic material, there was a scanned version of his slides from 20 years ago...when they actually were slides. He knows his stuff.

Then in the middle of the day, he made a remarkable statement. He said, "I don't know why..." What was remarkable about this statement is I knew exactly why. I could have given a 15 minute lecture on why, except that it seemed so basic and fundamental a concept to me that it should simply be given and not need any explanation.

I realized that this expert, who knows more than I ever will about his field, is missing basic knowledge about something closely related. Knowledge that I have. Thinking about this has led me to three conclusions.
  1. I know more than I give myself credit for.
  2. What seems obvious to me is not necessarily obvious to all.
  3. Others' knowledge will always far exceed my own in most areas.
These observations apply to all of us, not just me. It should give us a healthy dose of confidence and humility. Remember that your knowledge is limited, and so is everyone else's, so always remember to share freely and listen gratefully.

0 comments:

Post a Comment