Friday, September 25, 2009

Who needs conflict?

I do.

I hate it, but I need it.

A long time ago, the writer of Proverbs said "as iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another." I have heard that verse talked about as friends gently encouraging each other, cheering each other on like buddies on the JV track team.

Now I confess to having no experience as a blacksmith, but is that how iron sharpens iron? When iron and iron come together, I do not imagine gentle. I imagine Braveheart-style two-handed longswords and the like. That is not cheering. That is conflict.

The description is that of two unyielding forces rubbing against each other hard enough so that little bits come off of one or both of them. Afterward, they are more able to do what they were intended for.

My thoughts and opinions are the same way. Unyielding until they come up against something else equally as hard. Then they rub and create friction and eventually come out sharper and better for it. Only through conflict does that happen, though. Without it, I am dull and therefore useless.

So I challenge you (and me) to disagree today. Create some conflict (maybe on this blog) and be the sharper for it. I do not like it, but I need it.

1 comments:

Cathy said...

I have been attempting to sharpen (focus) my thoughts on this since I first read your post. I continue to have thoughts that are a bit unfocused, but I will write them as they are.

Conflict... an ugly word. Negative in my mind. I hate conflict, too. It is ubiquitous in our world. Conflict is a result of the original sin. It is now part of our world because humans were not obedient to God.

Conflict can take two forms, one results in the sharpening mentioned in the Proverbs passage. The other results in destruction. Is the conflict of God, for improvement and refining? Or is it of Satan, for destruction?

A wise process would be to seek to determine with prayer the source of the conflict before engaging in it. Oh, yes, this means thinking about the consequences of engaging prior to speaking or acting. Proverbs also says that a soft answer turns away wrath. Jesus tells us that we are to treat others as we would like to be treated. I would like to be sharpened, not destroyed or harmed.

Overall, I agree that entertaining different perspectives can result in growth (mentally, emotionally, spiritually). However, if the conflict is of Satan, it will only destroy.

So, in closing, choose carefully which conflict you engage in, some conflicts are best avoided.

Now it's your turn to sharpen my thoughts.

Post a Comment