Monday, March 26, 2012

Reading and the iPad

Last Thursday, I left my iPad at work. I've been tablet-free for 4 days and counting now. Once I got over the shakes of the first couple days, it hasn't been that bad.

My wife has been laughing at me as I started every third sentence over the weekend with "So I've been thinking..." It turns out I think more without constant instant access to email, Netflix, Kingdom Rush, Facebook, etc. I kind of like it.

I also find myself reading more. Reading more books, that is. In the first 5 months of 2011, prior to receiving the iPad in a raffle, I read 20 books. In the last 7 months, I read 23, of which 12 were audio books in the car. The first 3 months of 2012 have seen 7 books completed, 5 in audio form. The acquisition of an amazing content delivery device (including ebooks!) destroyed my reading habit.

Seth Godin wrote about the same thing today. If I wasn't already in the midst of an iPad fast, his post might have convinced me to start. As usual, he's brief and to the point. If you read or write, follow the link.

Reading is important to me. My iPad is fun. I let the distraction of fun get in the way of my priorities. Shame on me. What do you need to take a break from?

0 comments:

Post a Comment