Wednesday, December 02, 2009

What inspires me?




I recently posted about inspiration and I was not quite sure what inspired me. Having thought about that question for a week or so now, I have a couple answers.





  1.  Extremity. I am inspired by people that take normal life and push it way beyond normal. Ultramarathon runners, mountain climbers, organization freaks, competitive eaters, and the like. My tendency is toward going with the flow and extreme people inspire me to push my boundaries a little bit, putting in the effort to get more out of life.
  2. Contradiction. I am also inspired by people that embody contradictions. The humble billionaire, the Christian hedonist, the boxing pacifist. These folks are similar to the extremists in that they push outside the normal, breaking the boundaries of what is considered to be acceptable. They form a new reality from combining apparently antithetical positions. Again, I am inspired to push beyond my tendency to be lazy and embrace variety and contradiction.
 (Photo credit to Lapicero)

0 comments:

Post a Comment