Friday, November 06, 2009

My kids are better than yours (aka - Your kids are better than mine)

Parenting can be brutal. With young kids (which is what I have experience with), the emotional and physical drain is greater than I would have ever imagined. Egos seem particularly vulnerable. When I see other kids, it is easy to see how much better behaved they are, how much more put-together their parents are, how much cooler gear they have, how much more fun they are all having. I am humbled by how easy life is for them and how I must be incompetent to be having such a hard day/week/month.

When I think this way, though, I have to consciously remind myself of reality. Any little snapshot of anyone's life generally looks prettier than the whole of the reality. Other parents are probably looking at my kids and thinking similar thoughts because they do not, and cannot, see my whole picture any more than I can see theirs.

So I want to encourage myself and other parents out there. My kids are not really better than yours, any more than yours are better than mine. My kids are mine. I love them and do the best I can to parent them and we are going to be OK. Stop stressing about other families and love your kids. That's all we can do.

3 comments:

The Vann's said...

Fantastic post and SO true. Didn't know you had a blog, I am excited to follow it!-nv

Cathy said...

I agree that any snapshot is probably prettier than the whole of reality. Most things look easier from the outside. Things are rarely as pulled together as they seem.

However, I believe that it is ok for Nana's to believe that their grands are more special than anyone elses. ;)

((hugs)) to a wonderful daddy.

David said...

@Nick - Welcome! Glad to have you.

@Cathy - Absolutely. Nanas should believe their grandkids are way better than anyone else's. It's one of the perks of being a grandparent rather than a parent.

Post a Comment