Thursday, October 29, 2009

What will you be when you grow up?

We are in the midst of a giant reorganization at work, with one of the results being a reposting of nearly every job in the company. A favorite recreation in the office, therefore, is browsing the postings for jobs you may want now or later or never. The biggest thing I realize in doing this? I'm not qualified for any job I really want.

So, what now? My first reaction is to be frustrated. Why do they put the stupid experience requirements in there? I could run that business, I'm sure I could! Why should I need relevant skills? I read a lot!

This, of course, is not helpful. What is more helpful is to think back a few years to who I was and project forward a few years to who I will be. They are not the same people. I change over time, hopefully growing, but not necessarily. So what I need to remember is simple.
  1. Be patient. I may not qualify for what I want to do right now, but chances are someday I will. Probably sooner than I think, too. So just chill.
  2. Grow now. Who I am tomorrow is who I am today plus growth. How am I growing today? What am I reading, experiencing, doing? I do not need to get 15 years of experience today, but how will I take the first step?
 What about you? Which do you struggle more with?

0 comments:

Post a Comment