Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Selective reasoning

Do you have an open mind?

I doubt you do. If you are reading this, you have been around for a few years, learned how to read, and been exposed to a lot of stuff. Books, people, experiences. All of those are now a part of you, and everything you see, read, and experience is screened through a filter that is uniquely you.

That means you easily agree with some things and disagree with others, independent of the thing itself. For example, my filter is inclined toward free market economics. That means I am inclined to think Basic Economics is a good book and Flat Broke in the Free Market is playing loose with the facts. My opinion is not based on a deep understanding of economic theory and practice, but only my own filter.

Does this mean your mind cannot be changed? No, but it does mean it is hard. Plus, it will require exposure to things that are outside your comfort zone. As a Tea Party Patriot, have you read any Al Franken? As a Progressive Democrat, have you read any Sean Hannity?

Reading only what you agree with rarely leads to learning anything new. It reinforces current filters and prevents growth. Mix it up, read a book that makes you want to throw it across the room, and see where it takes you. Our minds will never be truly open, but a few cracks never hurt.

2 comments:

snapladylisa said...

Yes, and no... Sometimes something comes along that really changes you, forces you to rethink everything you thought was real. Like say, a movie, (I'm thinking about The Matrix, but maybe I was at an impressionable age) or a book (most recently for me, on a small level, Outliers, a teacher, (hence me no likey public school) or parenthood (boy, that continously kicks my tail). The problem is that we don't very carefully choose our influences, as you're suggesting. And I think openmindedness can be overrated. I think cracks are actually better than being wide open...

David said...

Since my thesis is that an open mind is impossible, it is hard to overrate its value. What is commonly seen as an open mind is usually one that simply agrees with whatever the current opinion is. That tendency to simply go with the flow (which I often tend toward) is not so useful and therefore easily overrated.

Post a Comment