Thursday, October 01, 2009

The Pen - good for you, good for the world

Following up on yesterday's post on disposable goods, I want to encourage everyone to go buy a nice pen. Get something with some heft that you will enjoy writing with. Maybe even try a fountain pen! Nice pens are more pleasant to use and better for the environment. Not only that, they can help you recover the joy of handwritten notes, which can be good for your relationships, both personal and business.

Join me in rediscovering the pleasure of pen on paper. Buy the pen (I can recommend Levenger as a great place to start looking) and then write me a note. You'll be glad you did.

2 comments:

Nathan said...

Like you, David, I was an advocate of the fountain pen. In college I owned a Rotring fountain pen, which I was quite proud of at the time.

But it eventually ended up staining my clothing when the pen should have been safely capped in my pocket.

I distinctly recall noticing the 2nd stain it created. I was getting gas at Chevron on Lake Austin Boulevard, noticed the stain, and in a fit of rage took the pen out of my pocket, re-capped it, and violently threw it into the adjacent trashcan next to the gas pump.

That was the last hundred bucks I waste on a fountain pen. But not the last sixty I waste on shorts from J Crew.

In ten-plus years of carrying pens in my pocket, I have never had a two dollar Uniball stain any article of my clothing. Explode on an airplane, yes, but the ink still remained within the cap!

David said...

Nathan - this is why we have pocket protectors. I think I have a spare one if you'd like it.

Post a Comment