Monday, October 26, 2009

The language of truth

Does the language we use affect the truth we hear?

I attended a wedding recently where Scripture was read in 5 languages (English, Greek, Hebrew, Spanish, Thai), only one of which I understood. Yet it was a powerful experience. I heard truth that I knew (the passages were familiar) spoken in a way I could not comprehend. Two thoughts came to my mind.

Truth can be spoken in many ways. The way I am accustomed to hearing truth (or Truth, it makes no difference) is well and good, but it is not the only way. Others will hear it differently, or even not hear it at all with the same words. I must be careful not to claim a monopoly on truth only because I have a monopoly on the form of communication.

I must communicate in the way my hearers need. Just because I understand what I am saying, that does not mean my audience does. My wife needs different words than I do, and my kids need different words than she does. The guy who speaks Mandarin will need different words again. It is not their responsibility to understand what I am saying, it is my responsibility to communicate in their language.

What words do you need to change? How has the form of communication affected your understanding of truth?
Does language influence meaning?

0 comments:

Post a Comment