Saturday, October 03, 2009

Acting with intention

CNBC was on in the break room of the training class I was in recently, which was eye-opening for me. Watching this financial hysteria over lunch made me wonder about how effective it really is. Do avid financial news network watchers have improved results (profits)? Somehow I doubt it.

Like all information we take in, it is worth thinking about the motivations of the people providing it. CNBC makes money on ads, which rely on viewers watching, not viewers making money. So even if the reporters and analysts have the best of intentions for providing useful financial information, their priority will always be toward keeping you watching.

That means excitement, crises, newness, not necessarily useful information. Yet the way to make money is generally to make a good decision and then wait (think Warren Buffet). So the constant barrage of information will more likely lead to losing money, rather than making it.

The question we should ask ourselves is, are we reacting to hysteria, or acting with intention?

1 comments:

Cathy said...

I have a general comment on today's news media. Media hysteria is hilarious. My favorite online news source is Drudge Report. It is over the top with hysteria. But I love it. It makes me laugh almost every day.

I detest the tv anchors that sound like wanna-be actors overflowing with drama. They irritate me. But give me my daily Drudge Report and let me follow the links to the absurd stuff that fills our planet.

As for the state of my investments... I try not to think about that... it does not make me laugh. Give me laughter any day!

Post a Comment