Wednesday, September 16, 2009

He who is faithful with little

Jesus once told a parable about a master and servants. Toward the end, he shares this line:
Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. (Matthew 25:21)

I  was reading a book where this was discussed, and I was struck by how counter this is to my own way of thinking, which I think is a reflection of either the nature of man, current culture, or both.

Don't waste time with the small stuff...put me in charge of many things RIGHT NOW!

I have the education. I have the test scores. I've read Drucker and Collins and Lencioni. It is clearly a waste to put me in charge of only my own work, or just my kids, or some other small and (seemingly) insignificant responsibility. Paying your dues is such the Baby Boomer thing to do. We Gen XYZ-ers don't have time for that.

... ... ...

Color me convicted. Maybe there's some merit in demonstrating competence with small things before being entrusted with large ones. Humility is critical for great leadership, and expecting responsibility to be handed to me instead of earning it may indicate a touch of arrogance. Maybe just a little.

1 comments:

Cathy said...

Uh, isn't being the father of 3 toddlers "many things now"? ... shakin' my head and laughing out loud!!

I would venture to say that raising your children to be God centered adults and showing stewardship and generosity with the monetary blessings that God has given you are two tasks of prime importance.

Excel in those and be blessed beyond measure, not to mention being extraordinarily busy and content as you watch the payoff.

Perhaps your education, test scores, and career reading are tools that let you earn a good living to have time to accomplish those tasks.

Just the perspective of an aging boomer who would gladly relinquish a few work responsibilities if she had that choice. ;)

Post a Comment